The Burgher’s House is closed due to renovation but will reopen in spring 2017.
Slip in through the yellow gate and get acquainted with the life of the middle-class in the 1860s Helsinki. The Burgher’s House was completed in 1818. It is the oldest remaining wooden house in central Helsinki.
Head Fireman Alexander Wickholm bought the house in 1859 as his home with his wife Erika and their three children. The rooms of the house have been restored and decorated according to information obtained from estate inventories to illustrate the life of a wealthy minor official’s family.
The courtyard building presents the conservation history of the Burgher’s House as well as domestic items and the life of children in the 1800s.